Cara Sprouse Rowe, Attorney at Law - Augusta Family Law and Divorce Attorney
When You Need Someone Who Knows the System

Are you receiving the right amount of child support?

On Behalf of | Sep 17, 2021 | Uncategorized |

A parent is generally obligated to support his or her child regardless of that person’s relationship with that son or daughter’s other parent. In most cases, Georgia law determines how much a noncustodial mother or father must pay to support a minor dependent. However, other factors may also come into play when determining how much financial support a child needs to enjoy a comfortable lifestyle.

How does the state determine how much you’re owed?

The state considers the number of variables to determine how much your former partner must send you every month. These variables typically include the number of children you have with this person, how much the child’s other parent makes, and how many other children your partner may need to support. Your own income will likely be taken into consideration when calculating the size of your monthly child support payment.

Other relevant factors can be taken into consideration

If your child has special needs, your former partner may be required to help cover any costs related to meeting those needs. In the event that your son or daughter incurs an extraordinary expense, you may receive a temporary boost in funding to help cover it. An extraordinary expense might include the cost of emergency medical treatment or hiring a private tutor.

Child support payments can change over time

You may be entitled to reduced financial support from your child’s other parent if your income goes up or that parent’s income goes down. As a child gets older, he or she may be able to find steady employment, which would reduce the need for direct payments from your spouse. An attorney may be able to help you understand how child support payments are recalibrated after an initial order is put in place.

As your child’s primary caregiver, you’re entitled to financial support to cover costs related to meeting your son or daughter’s basic needs. If necessary, you can ask a judge to review an existing support order to determine if it needs to be altered in any way.